Simple instructions for getting Java to work on 5.10?

Old Rocker old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 14 20:27:01 UTC 2006

On Saturday 14 Jan 2006 03:33, Bry Melvin wrote:

> I'm new to Ubuntu, so I really need instructions to be fool-proof.
>  The instructions I have found on the web do not work on a default
> install. Ideally the JRE or JDK would work with Firefox.  I need to
> be able to access
> a web-based java/jre financial application.
[snipped]

Ubuntu uses a "flavour" of Java and not the standard JRE (why, I don't
know).  To install it couldn't be easier.

1. Get the Automatix program by opening up a console and put in:

wget http://beerorkid.com/automatix/automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb

and then when its downloaded, do:

sudo dpkg -i automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb

2. This will open up a graphical interface where you can download JRE
1.5 (and other useful applications).

3. One downloaded you can use java as usual.  One way of checking that
you have the full JRE installed, is to download the Frostwire
application which is a GPL file sharing application that runs entirely
in java, and if it runs, then a standard version of java is installed.

To see more about Automatix, look up the forum post at:

Old Rocker