SATA disk not recognised by Breezy

Chris Bamford chris at bammers.net
Sat Jan 14 10:20:32 UTC 2006

Hi - I've recently bought an ASUS Vintage-AE1 bare bone system and
installed Breezy Badger on it.  All aspects of the system work fine
except the SATA disk which is recognised by the BIOS, but not seen at
all by Ubuntu.  The BIOS supports the following configuration options
for the onboard PCI SATA Controller:

    * disabled
    * native
    * RAID by ROM

None of these seem to help.

I have checked the mailing list and searched the Ubuntu bugzilla but
have had no joy.

The system chipset is the SIS 760GX and supports Serial ATA RAID.
The disk is a MAXTOR 6L250S0 250Gb drive.

Frustratingly, if I boot from a Tom's Root Boot CD, the disk is visible
as /dev/hde, so I know it does work!  I am assuming that Ubuntu is
either not loading the correct driver or having a problem initialising
it.  I attach the dmesg bootlog from Ubuntu.

Please can anyone advise?

Thanks
Chris