How to allow normal users to adjust date and time?

neil woolford lists at neilwoolford.plus.com
Fri Jan 13 17:48:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 21:14 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Toby Kelsey wrote:
>
> > neil woolford wrote:
> >> I'd like to be able to allow (selected) normal users to set the time and
> >> date of their systems, using the gui interface accessed by
> >> right-clicking the clock and selecting Adjust Date & Time.
> >>
> >> By default this is only accessible by users with administrative
> >> privileges, I don't want to give all these privileges to normal users
> >> just so that they can adjust and synchronise the time on their machines.
> >>

> > You could instead run ntpd to synchronise the clocks automatically.
>
> ntpd seems like overkill.  I run ntpdate out of /etc/network/if-up.d/, so
> every time an interface is configured, it tries to set the time.

Good thinking, especially as ntpd seems to mysteriously not work on that
machine right now.  Ntpdate would give sufficient accuracy for this job,
and I could put it at the end of the script that I've already added to
bring up ppp when the modem reports a connection.

And I've now had success with the syntax of sudoers.conf so I can also
give my user access to the time and date adjustments without making him
an administrator.

Neil