problem with resolution

Roger Chrisman roger at rogerchrisman.com
Fri Jan 13 07:46:43 UTC 2006

SS,

I just now experimented with both

 sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

and

 sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

to see what they do.

They do both reconfigure xserver-xorg (by auto
editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and I presume somehow flag something so
that the file will be updated again when you upgrade xserver-xorg in
future.

The -phigh flag causes dpkg-reconfigure to ask you way fewer questions.

Both with and without that flag, dpkg-reconfigure seems to make a backup
copy of your current /etc/X11/xorg.conf before writing its new one.
That is nice, should you decide to revert.

The comment that I quoted below from the top of /etc/X11/xorg.conf is
still relevant, if you do manually modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Roger Chrisman wrote:
> # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades
> *only*
> # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the
> xserver-xorg # package.
> #
> # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
> updated
> # again, run the following command:
> #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Roger