OpenOffice 2 (impress) and PowerPC hangs.

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Fri Jan 13 02:36:22 UTC 2006

James Tappin wrote:
> I'm running Kubuntu Breezy on a G3 iBook (600 MHz, 384 Mb), and I'd like
> to be able to use Version 2 (well 1.9.129) of OpenOffice impress, but if
> I take an existing OO 1 (.sxi) presentation and try to edit it,
> OpenOffice2 hangs up immediately (no buttons respond, the window contents
> do not refresh) and the only things I can do are to kill it with
> Ctrl-Alt-Escape or from a command line.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem (or not had this problem)? Is it PPC
> specific (i.e. most likely endianness related) or more general.
>
> Many thanks for any pointers
> 	James

Well, I run Ubuntu Breezy on a slightly newer iBook than yours (800 MHz
G3, also 384 MB RAM), and I have no problem opening OOo 1.X impress
files (*.sxi), editing, saving, etc.  I know this doesn't help in any
way with your problem, but at least this lets you know it isn't a PPC
problem.

Perhaps starting ooimpress2 from a terminal window, or running strace on
ooimpress2, will indicate where the program is hanging?

Regards,
Larry