Broken dpkg dialogs (follow-up: my apologies)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 12 03:15:52 UTC 2006

> I was also thinking it was an encoding issue.  Do you know how to
> change the encoding to ISO-8859-1 ?  At least that's something I could
> try.

Amended idea below, sorry for the double post...

<quote>

An easier solution, perhaps, might be to enable ssh X forwarding and do

ssh -X you@$serveraddress xterm

(or gnome-terminal or whatever Ubuntu
terminal you prefer), with X11 running on your mac, of course. I tried this
on my iBook and it appears to work OK....

This way the whole apt operation runs on the Ubuntu box, including the
terminal itself.

Worth a try if you have X11 installed on the Mac.

</quote>

addition:
 Sorry I should have added: X forwarding seems to work only if you
ssh from an x-terminal of some description on the Mac - the Mac terminal
produces the "can't open display " error (presumably because it doesn't
know enough to realise that X is actually running ...)

But I prefer not to anthropomorphise computers - they really hate it <grin>

Peter