How to allow normal users to adjust date and time?

neil woolford lists at neilwoolford.plus.com
Thu Jan 12 00:01:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 20:25 +0000, Toby Kelsey wrote:
> neil woolford wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to allow (selected) normal users to set the time and
> > date of their systems, using the gui interface
> >
> > By default this is only accessible by users with administrative
> > privileges, I don't want to give all these privileges to normal users
> > just so that they can adjust and synchronise the time on their machines.
>
> try 'man sudoers'.

Thanks, I'm just having a look at that rather long document.  The
principle isn't so hard, but the detail, oh the detail...
Probably leave it to tomorrow now!

> You could instead run ntpd to synchronise the clocks automatically.

Which works very well on my machine, but doesn't seem to want to play on
the target machine :(

First (understood) part of the problem being an ISP provided USB modem
(Speedtouch) which works fine but doesn't come up in time to sync the
clock during the boot sequence (ntpdate):  second part (mysterious)
being that the system doesn't seem to talk to the ntp server(s), ntpq -p
doesn't give any result except for the local clock...

So the poor user is at the mercy of clock drift, and as he likes to
place his eBay bids very late, it is a problem.

Neil