X interface problems

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Jan 11 07:36:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:11, Sizwe Petse wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have just finished installing Ubuntu 5.10, but I cannot switch to GUI,
> its running in command prompt.
>
> What can I do?

Make sure you didn't accidentally do a "server" install - this mode of
installation doesn't include the X window system.

You could try installing one of the following:
ubuntu-desktop   (Gnome)
kubuntu-desktop  (KDE)
xubuntu-desktop  (xfce4)

by using the following command:

sudo apt-get install ?????-desktop

If you know you didn't do a server install, what is in /var/log/Xorg.log ??
Especially lines beginning with "(EE)".

What is your video hardware? NVidia/Ati/something else?

Cheers,

James
--
No people are all bad, just as none are all good.
Tecumseh, (Shawnee) to his nephew Spemica Lawba 1790