Printing from networked XP to local linux printer

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 10 19:09:01 UTC 2006

After two days of trying, I'm starting to wonder if I'm attempting the
impossible. However, the howtos on the web seem to imply that it is
straightforward, though they are somewhat confusing. Some say you need
samba, others says it can just be done with cups. I've followed
instructions for using cups (it seems to be made all the harder by
Ubunutu disabling web-based admin tasks: groping around the config
files isn't very human-friendly)

I have a working printer on the linux box and I have a working wireless
network. The two machines can ping each other, and I can establish an
ftp connection. What I can't do is set up the XP machine to use my linux
printer.

I've allowed the XP machine to use port 631 on the linux firewall, I've
given it permission in cupsd.conf.  I've edited the XP HOSTS file and
put in the Ubuntu box address, but the XP box always complains that it
can't connect to the printer when I try to set it up with
http://<linux box name or even IP address>:631/printers/DeskJet-520

What else should I be doing?  Or should I give up?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/