Toshiba Laptop on-board WINMODEM and 600 MHz

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Mon Jan 9 23:47:38 UTC 2006

Lonn a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Toshiba 2230/2250 which is a decent little 600 MHz laptop with
> PCMCIA slots, USB, and  FireWire, but for some reason it is not on the list
> of Toshiba laptops recommended for Linux.
>
> Perhaps the onboard Lucent Technologies WINMODEM would use resources not
> controlled by Linux.
>
> Does someone out there know the score on things 'compatible' to tell me if
> it is a waste to go forward or not on that Laptop?
>
> Lonn
Pilots for winmodems are not very numerous, and have to be fit to the
kernel. So you might find a pilot, and have to downgrade to the great
great grand-father of your actual kernel to make it function more or
less bad ;)
That's for my research with a HP laptop 3 or 4 years old.
Links:
> http://linmodems.org/
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
> http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto-2.html

Another way is to by a PCMCIA card, among the few you'll be sure, after
a fast research, that it will be recognised (but I don't have experience
with it). The last way (what I do) is to connect through a gateway on a
LAN with one cable.
Then I configure with ipmasq on the gateway and 'route add default
gateway' on the client. (and add the needed IP on the /etc/resolv.conf).
Hum. I have a 56k connexion only. Some connexions like DHCP better,
although it is mostly fit for many computers.

Another way is connect with an external serial modem/or router if large
band connexion, if your machine has a serial port/whatever else can go,
I don't know anything about large band,  on it (mine on 56k does not
have a serial output :/)
Best greetings, Joyce Markoll.