Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Mon Jan 9 23:40:20 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Charles E "RIck" Taylor IV wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 00:18 +0800, Michael Richter wrote:
>>
>>>        Most solutions seem cryptic, unintuitive and hard to find to
>>>        the uninitiated.
>>
>>>This is problem #1 for Linux (any distro).  When things work they work
>>>well.  When they fall down, however, they fall down hard.  Trying to
>>>pick up the pieces afterwards is nightmarish.  Even gurus often throw
>>>up their hands and say "I hope you backed up /home".
>>
>>Whenever I read about this, I think - "You know, I have these same
>>problems - with Windows XP."  A *lot* of this just boils down to things
>>just working differently under unixlike OSes than they do under Windows.
>

> I believe in learning by tweaking till it's broke, and I can't say anything
> I've ever done has ever lost me /home.  I don't think _Linux_ has ever been
> responsible for any significant problems.  There was the time I missed an
> important slash in a pathname: "sudo rm -r /etc something"; and the time I
> removed the libc6 package over any number of objections from the system.
> In both cases the system was significantly b0rked, but I've managed to
> accomplish the same sorts of things with Windows, with fewer attempts from
> the OS to stop me.

Just last week I ran rm -Rf /lib/* /usr/lib/* /bin/* /usr/bin/*, I
stopped the process after about 1.5 minutes when I realised what I'd
done, and due to having some cached package files and a spare dpkg +
necessary libs elsewhere, I totally recovered the system. I couldn't
have hoped to have managed that on Windows.

I had to have a nice lie down afterwards though.

--
Tristan Wibberley