IP Address Problems

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Mon Jan 9 20:12:34 UTC 2006

dan wrote:
> On 09/01/06, dan <hentaidan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 09/01/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>However, I can't see why you should need to deconfigure eth0 before the
>>>system shuts down, or why it would make any difference to what happens at
>>>start up.
>

> Oh and I deconfigure eth0 before I shut down to stop it from
> connecting with the "wrong" IP address at boot.
>
> --
> http://www.danicity.co.uk

Ok..first of all are you using static or dynamic IP addresses?

If dynamic, your ISP's DHCP server is what assigns the IP address
and that's the address you should use regardless of what it is.

If static, the file /etc/network/interfaces is what assigns your
IP address.  Just change this file if you want to change your IP
address.  Use "ifdown" to take your interface(s) down and "ifup"
to bring interface(s) up.  BTW - Your ISP is what assigns the IP
address you should be using here too.

Spoofing a MAC address is also done via the /etc/network/interfaces
file.  Try:

	man interfaces
	man ifup
	man ifdown

These will show you how to do all of what you want *properly*.

There is no need to deconfigure eth0 before shutdown.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown