Problems installing 5.10 with GeForce 6800

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Mon Jan 9 17:12:49 UTC 2006

I'm trying to install 5.10 on my computer but am running into a problem.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 6800 graphics card and a motherboard with an
Nvidia NForce2 chipset.

The install goes just fine. When I try to log in for the first time, my
username and password are accepted and the startup sound plays with the
default background colour showing. The computer then freezes. The mouse
cursor still moves but doesn't respond to the keyboard (not Capslock,
not Ctrl-Alt-Enter, not Ctrl-Alt-Del nor Ctrl-Alt-Fn).

Using the failsafe terminal session I have a few seconds in which I can
type into the terminal Window but the computer shortly freezes up in
exactly the same manner.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Regards,

James