Live CD, can't connect to Internet

S Barringer sbarringer at netpenny.net
Sun Jan 8 20:23:32 UTC 2006

Subject: Re: Live CD, can't connet to Internet To: Ubuntu Help and User
Discussions <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID:
<43C07854.1000705 at optusnet.com.au> Content-Type: text/plain;

>> I'm brand new to Ubuntu, and I just ran the live CD.  The printers, one
>> parallel, and one USB, are working fine, and I set up pppconfig, but I
>> can't connect to the Internet.  Can't I go online from the live CD?  Or,
>> am I missing something here?  --7 Jan 2006
>> sbarringer at netpenny.net

I'm using a serial modem (US Robotics),  which two other (unnamed Linux OSs) detect
without any problem.
    When it came to the modem detection-automatic, it went to manual
detection.   It had ttyS1 already listed in place, and I didn't change
that.  Maybe it's on ttyS0?  Or one of the other ttyS's?  This mobo has only one serial port, so detection sholdn't be conplex.
      I also used 'chat' for login/password needed for my ISP.
   Also, why am I being asked for the primary nameserver IP number?   This information is not something that my ISP seems willing to give out.   No
other OS asks for this info (I think because it's dynamic DNS).
   I have three Linux machines running on dial-up.  I was wondering if
there is any way to find out the     primary nameserver IP number?

sbarringer at netpenny.net