msttcorefontsq

N6REJ cogyfarm at grm.net
Sun Jan 8 15:24:02 UTC 2006

albi wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 19:34:45 -0500
> 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org>, '@wailuku.xlogicgroup.com
> wrote:
>

>> is only available from another source
>>
>> E: Package msttcorefonts has no installation candidate
>>

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=msttcorefonts&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
>
> some 3 or 4 weeks ago i noticed that it was gone for some reason (yes,
> from packages.ubuntu.com and packages.debian.org only had it in
> "stable")
>
> from the url above you can download it and install it with dpkg -i
>
> maybe your local mirror(s) are not yet up to date ?

There are 8 important commands in apt that you should know.
sudo apt-get install filenamehere  # this command will install a file.
sudo apt-get remove filenamehere # this command will uninstall a file
but NOT its configuration files.
sudo apt-get remove --purge filenamehere  #this command totally removes
the file & its configs
sudo apt-cache search whatyouwanthere    # this command will help you
find a package based on the name or whatever you type
sudo apt-cache show packagenamehere   # this command will show you a
short description of what it does, what it requires etc.
sudo apt-get update                                      # this command
will update the apt database with the listing of currently available
packages.  Very
                     # good to run frequently
sudo apt-get upgrade                                    # This will
upgrade any already installed files to the newer versions.
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade                              # this will
upgrade the entire distribution if you have made changes to your
sources.list file.

while apt-get is a wonderful program and I use it ALOT ( I type faster
then I mouse ) for someone just learning I can't recommend synaptic
enough.  I use both.  Synaptic can do all that I showed above and
probably more.  Plus it will warn you BEFORE you install if something
your installing will break something OR will grab any dependencies like
cabextract for you automatically.

I hope this short dissertation helped.