Automatically download a package and all dependencies (recusrively)

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 15:52:20 UTC 2006

I have an Ubuntu machine at home which I want to install some stuff onto,
but the machine has no Internet access. I have an Ubuntu machine in my
office which does have Internet access.

Theoretically I could use synaptic to install the packages I want on my
office machine, then copy all the package files from my apt cache to a disc
and take them home to install on my home machine.

In reality my office machine already has some of the packages installed but
no longer to be found in the apt-cache. Even if I remove these packages and
reinstall them in order to get their .debs from the apt-cache, I won't find
all their dependencies in the cache because they were already installed.
There doesn't seem to be a way to uninstall a package and all its
dependencies, and anyway that might result in removing some things I don't
want to remove, like parts of the base system. I can see what the
dependencies are in synaptic or using the online package search, but then I
have to look at the dependencies of the dependencies, there's way too many.

Is there some way to automatically download a package and all of its
dependencies, so that I get all the .debs needed to install that package on
a fresh Ubuntu box, even if the machine doing the downloading already has
some of the dependencies installed?