laptop screen shifted right

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 03:05:50 UTC 2006

On breezy, my toshiba laptop, using the TRIDENT cyberblade xPi, has
the visual screen shifted to the right about 1 mm.  It cuts off the
right edge (about 1 mm) and the left edge shows about 1 mm wide black
(unused) screen border.

This didn't happen on other versions of linux I've used previously, so
I think it's something in ubuntu.

I've tried using xvidtune to change it, but it does nothing when I
press the left (or right or wider or any buttons .. numbers on the
bars move, but the screen doesn't).

There's no error or warnings in the /var/log/Xorg.log.  Doesn't make
any difference whether it's gnome or kde.

I also have tried removing the boot splash and this has no effect.
There is nothing specific on modelines in the xorg.conf.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TIA,