Ubuntu on Mac Laptops

Maximilian Gerlach m at px0.de
Fri Jan 6 19:03:01 UTC 2006

Hi Al,

> For those who have said "wait for Apple's intel", I should have
> mentioned in the original message that I need a new laptop ASAP.  I'm
> aware that Apple is coming out with Intel-based stuff soon, but can't
> really wait too long to make this purchase.
But you really should. PowerPC will (unfortunately) be soon
deprecated and Ubuntu on
Apple laptops has some major drawbacks at the moment - most of them
should be solved by the
new Intel notebooks...

> I need the laptop for
> work purposes.  More comments inline below.
If you ask me, you should buy yourself either a used 12" iBook G3 or
a used thinkpad with a comparable little screen.
Both of them are fast enough to be workable with and both are
perfectly supported by Linux.
Oh, and they should be relatively cheap now :)

Equipped with one of this machines you should be able to at least
endure the time until intel macs are available :)
Remember: The big Mac Expo starts on January 9th ;) (and it's widely
rumored first Intel based laptops should be announced there)

> That's good to know.  That's the model I was considering.  Hrm...
Nobody told *me* that before. Be thankful! ;D

> Thanks, Maxi, and the rest who answered.
You're welcome!

Maxi,
writing this from a 12" Powerbook G4. Under OS X. I'm missing  my
Ubuntu :((