Sudo Failed

Old Rocker old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 20:06:58 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 Jan 2006 18:11, Old Rocker wrote:

> I did not think of that, but I should have done!
>
> However, if I cannot use sudo, how do I access my hosts file which
> has root permissions?

Well, here's confession time, but I hope useful for anybody in the same
state as I was!

Its clear I had installed a hosts file for getting ride of all sorts of
parasites, but I did not keep the same information as in the original
file on Ubuntu.  Instead of keeping

127.0.0.1	localhost		(right for Windows)

you have to make sure that the first uncommented line of your hosts file
is:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost ubuntu	(right for Ubuntu with
the default host name)

Now, this was the first thing I did wrong, but it didn't affect me until
I tried to sudo some days after it was done.  If you do that the system
will not recognise your hostname as allowed, which was my problem.

Now, /etc/hosts has root privileges, so how are you to alter it?  Joyce
Markoll put me on the right road here: the best way is to use a live CD
that allows you to run it with root privileges.  After some fumbling
through my collection of live Cds, I found the best to use was
SimplyMEPIS.  You can download an .iso file for free at
http://www.mepis.org/node/1462

Sadly, my writer gave up the ghost, so I'm left with a reader, and I
can't burn CDs anymore, but if you can I recommend you download
the .iso file.  It was MUCH easier to get into the system using
SimplyMEPIS than Ubuntu Live, Knoppix and Slax.

Amending the hosts file did the trick and I'm thankful for everybody who
gave me help.  Another confession: no, in a fit of lethergy and
idleness I didn't look for the answer on the web.  If I had, I would
have seen a number of entries for this problem, and a number of entries
all pointing to the hosts file.

Thanks again to all who helped!

--

Old Rocker