Equivalent of Red Hat's kickstart or SUSE's AutoYAST?

Scott Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Thu Jan 5 05:36:20 UTC 2006

Carlos A. Carnero Delgado wrote:

>Hi there!
>
>after several weeks of testing Ubuntu Server 5.10, I am very pleased
>with it. Now, I'm ready for the next batch of tests. Problem is that I
>need to install it on several hundred machines with the very same
>hardware specs.
>
>Is there something for Ubuntu like Red Hat's kickstart or SUSE's AutoYAST?
>
>Oh, one more thing; in this particular setup, disk cloning wouldn't
>work. Everything is Intel-based.

We do that here with hoary(we are talking about skipping breezy and
targeting dapper right now).   We don't have any real documentation at
this time except our packages.  As such, you might want to check out the
following for a starting place to what we have done.
http://mirror.lcsee.wvu.edu/loud/breezy-loud-main/lcsee-boot-media_5.10.0.3.tar.gz

We use a combination of preseed and kick-start(its in Ubuntu) to get
things going but from there on in everything is in a package.