Making FireFox default browser, and a nice icon for it

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Thu Jan 5 00:36:34 UTC 2006

Ubuntu Users,

	Following advice here, I replaced the Ubuntu 1.0.7 build of FireFox
available in Synaptic for version 1.0.5, which I downloaded directly
from Mozilla. This was to alleviate excessive CPU use by the Ubuntu
build, and it has worked fantastically.

	However, because the version downloaded from Mozilla just unpacks from
a tar file, it is not integrated into my system. When I click on a link
in Evolution or Gaim, nothing happens. I assume this is because I have
not listed my new version of FireFox as a default browser.

	Question #1 is, how to I make it so that FireFox 1.0.5 is the default
web browser for all web activities?

	Question #2 should be simpler. Is there a place I can get a nice
FireFox icon to put in my panel? I noticed that even when I had the
Ubuntu build there was only a globe icon as the default FireFox icon.
	I did read on this list in someone else's thread that there was some
issue about licensing or something, which was why there was no default
icon. But I didn't get a clear picture of whether or not it was possible
to download an icon oneself from somewhere.

	Thank you for your assistance.

--
Dave M G