Alternatives to ubuntu?

Old Rocker old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 01:45:14 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 03 Jan 2006 17:12, Filip Svendsen wrote:

[snipped]
> I really don't want to go back to windows again, so I'm interested in
> if anybody knows how well gnome and firefox runs under for example
> gentoo?

They run really well, but as always the trade-off to ensure your whole
system runs smoothly is getting down into the depths of Gentoo....

> Are their other performance-minded distros out there?

Since you like Ubuntu, I'd suggest you look at Mepis.  Its a Debian
based distro which installs well from the CD, and runs in a much more
Debian-centric mode.  However you will have to download and burn
the .iso file yourself.

I'd suggest that you look at www.distrowatch.com so you can get a better
idea of the comparative strengths and weaknesses of each distro

--

Old Rocker