msttcorefonts problem

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Wed Jan 4 00:17:34 UTC 2006

'Forum Post a écrit :
> squareyes Wrote:
>>Hi, do you have the lines in your sources list?
>># deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main
>>restricted universe multiverse

>># deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main
>>restricted universe multiverse
>>and did you do sudo apt-get update  before trying to download
>>msttcorefonts?
> yes i did update my system..and i didn't had those lines, but i did
> added them and still no fonts!
Will someone write a how-to post, how-to answer properly into the
ligns+remove
the unuseful additional '>' ?
I'm ok to write one how-to of this type, just someone tells me where to
go for that. grmlmlml!!!

Ok Forum Post, whoever you are.
Squareyes tells you 'sudo apt-get update' and this _is not_ updating you
system, but it updates the list of the available packages that belong to
the repositories listed -and uncommented- (thus not marked with a '#'
before the repositories lines) in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

So, you have to invoke 'apt-get update' in root mode (sudo in Ubuntu)
one time a day maximum if you dowload once or several times a day.

So 'sudo apt-get update' downloads the list of packages.
Then 'sudo apt-get install apt-cache' installs a tool (apt-cache) that
allows you to get some informations about packages belonging to
repositories configured in you /etc/apt/sources.list with the 'apt-cache
show <name_package>' command line.

Then you can invoke 'apt-get install x y z a v k i' where 'x y z a v k
i' are 7 different packages.
Please see the wiki category documentation for more to learn.

BTW: /etc/apt/sources.list can be configured in graphic Synaptic tool
although command line is more practical.

What about reading a little about the ways to get informations ?
The following text is quite long to read, but I found many interesting
points.

Best greetings, Joyce Markoll.