2 gdm processes sleeping

Jhair Tocancipa Triana jhair_tocancipa at gmx.net
Tue Jan 3 22:38:30 UTC 2006

René  writes:

> hello,
> how does it come that in System Monitor i do see 2 gdm processes (both
> around 11MB) sleeping, but only one user is logged in?

GDM forks itself (i.e. creates a copy of its process) per-default:

$ pstree -p 4683
gdm(4683)───gdm(4693)─┬─Xorg(4725)
                      └─gnome-session(4964)───ssh-agent(5015)

It seems you can disable that behaviour with the -nodaemon flag of
gdm:

$ man gdm | grep -A2 "nodaemon"
Reformatting gdm(1), please wait...
       -nodaemon
              Do not fork into the background

Normally this is nothing one should take care of, but the option is
there, so I assume it is intended for environments with few memory...

--
--Jhair

PGP key available from public servers - ID: 0xBAA600D0