Alternatives to ubuntu?

Filip Svendsen filipncs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:44:33 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Will H. Backman <whb at ceimaine.org> wrote:
> Filip Svendsen wrote:
> > I realize this is probably one of the worst possible places to ask
> > this, but I'm looking for an alternative to Ubuntu. My problem is that
> > the interface feels so incredibly sluggish. I'm not talking about
> > startup times of apps, which really doesn't bother me at all; it's the
> > responsiveness of apps after they've started. In particular firefox is
> > incredibly slow, compared to under windows 2000.
> >
> > I really don't want to go back to windows again, so I'm interested in
> > if anybody knows how well gnome and firefox runs under for example
> > gentoo?
> > Are their other performance-minded distros out there?
> > --
> > Venlig hilsen
> > Filip Svendsen
> >

> Perhaps the question should be:  How do I troubleshoot performance
> problems in Ubuntu.

That's a pretty good point.

I have:
- an amd-64 2800+, and I use the k7 kernel
- a Radeon 9800, for which I use the fglrx driver, with acceleration on.

And when I use firefox or any of the gnome/gtk+ programs, it feels
like I'm back on my old duron 700 MHz... :(

Everything is super snappy when I'm in windows 2000...

What do I do?
--
Venlig hilsen
Filip Svendsen