Firefox 1.0.7 takes 100% CPU [was: Re: Firefox 1.5 very high load]

Mario Splivalo mario.splivalo at mobart.hr
Tue Jan 3 10:07:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 11:15 +0200, Giorgos wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 08:32 +0100, Mario Splivalo wrote:
>

> > I'm having almost similair problems with 1.0.7. When I open some pages,
> > for instance http://www.index.hr (Croatian news portal - and I'm
> > adblocking all the flash from there - I just have those scrolling text
> > on the right side), my CPU load goes to 70-80%. If I have two, three or
> > more tabs open, then the load is 100%, and I feel the slowdown of the
> > system. The same happens with http://www.vecernji-list.hr, for instance.
> > On the same machine I have booted WindowsXP, where I also installed
> > Firefox 1.0.7, and I don't experience that problem there.
> >
>  Ubuntu's firefox is very slow, this was a big mistake imho, if you
> install the 1.5 with these instructions
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion
> it will be a world of difference.

Well, not actually a world of difference, maybe just a smal village :)

I did what is stated above, and installed firefox 1.5, and I notice
small improvement. The number of tabs before I hit 100% processor load
has increased from two-three tabs to like ten. But still, on Windows,
and firefox 1.5 I can have as much as 40 tabs open withouth ANY
processor load. Ff just eats a lot of RAM, and that's it.

I also tried ff on debian testing, same thing. I guess FF just performs
better on Windows machines.

	Mike
--
Mario Splivalo
Mob-Art
mario.splivalo at mobart.hr

"I can do it quick, I can do it cheap, I can do it well. Pick any two."