gnome-terminal transparency

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 20:03:34 UTC 2006

On 1/2/06, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> I got my gnome-terminal transparent by going to Edit -> Current Profile.
> Go to the Effects tab and click the "Transparent background" radio
> button. Then move the "Shade transparent or image background" slider to
> set the amount of transparency you want. This worked for me in Ubuntu
> 5.10 (Breezy Badger). You can also hide the scrollbar by going to the
> Scrolling tab and selecting the Disabled" item from the "Scrolling is:"
> combo box. Right-click i the terminal and uncheck "Show menubar" to hide
> the menu bar. This is the setup  use when I run irssi in gnome-terminal.

I guess I was not very specific with my query. Sorry.
I know the procedure you mentioned, and followed the same. But
the gnome-terminal does not become transparent! One important
thing I forgot to mention was, this problem happens only when I have
the desktop background set as None. If I choose any other desktop wallpaper,
then this problem does not occur.

Has this problem occurred in other installations too?

Regards,
Santanu