Unmask Problems - Hoary 5.01

Bobby Sanders ssanders at ssvzc.com
Mon Jan 2 19:40:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 14:14 -0500, Michael R. Head wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 12:53 -0600, Bobby Sanders wrote:
> > I want my default unmask to be 002 for all the users on my small office
> > system.  I have tried changing it in /etc/login.defs, i.e I changed the
> > line;
> >
> > UNMASK	022

> > UNMASK	002
> >
> > rebooted, created a new file and the permissions were still -rw-r--r--
> >
> > What am I missing?  I know this has worked on other *nixs in the
> > past!  :(
>
> Well, first of all, that should be UMASK, not UNMASK, second of all,

Thanks for pointing out my mispulling. :)

> that line is by default commented out, so maybe you have to uncomment
> it.

>From my /etc/login.defs file:

"...
# Prefix these values with "0" to get octal, "0x" to get hexadecimal.
#
ERASECHAR       0177
KILLCHAR        025
UMASK           022
#ULIMIT         2097152

#
# Password aging controls:
..."

When I change the 022 to 002.  Nothing happens.

>  Third of all, double check that you aren't setting a umask in
> your .bash_profile or .bashrc or /etc/bash.bashrc.

Just checked them again.  No mention of umask there except
for .bashrc_profile, which is commented out.  I tried uncommenting it
and changing the 022 to 002.  Still no luck.  Perhaps I made a typo.
I'll try it again.

Thanks,

Bobby