k3b errors out while burning

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Tue Feb 28 16:08:40 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 23:32, Ali Milis wrote:
> > I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 and k3b.  I've had no problems with burning either
> > CDs or DVDs while connected to the net.  What exactly is happening when
> > you try to burn something?
>
> FYI: I was using Kubuntu 5.10 and k3b. I HAD problem to burn
> MULTI SESSION CD. Then I went back to 5.04!
> But it seems that that problem is solved in Dapper 6.04?
>
> Now I user Dapper 6.04 for burning CDs.
>
> --
> Raja Ali M.I. Ilias, Bengkalis, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AliMilis
> Counted GNU/Linux Engineer # 405138 - http://counter.li.org/
To respond to both you & Ed Fletcher & with regard, Breezy v5.10 vs Dapper
v6.04: I have the latter on another partition and was getting the same
behaviour, though I never tried Dapper w/o internet up & running.  In both
cases --Breezy & Dapper-- the only thing happening via internet was about
2-4kbps of aMule activity... and perhaps I got my e-mail during the burn....
though nothing else was happening.

I am burning to an external Pioneer [brand new] drive, attached via USB, that
supports all media. One big reason I moved to Breezy from Gentoo was the
latter was selectively recognizing/attaching the drive... even during a burn.
This problem seems to have recently cropped up so I think that, in itself, is
bizarre.  Guess I'll try Ed's idea & see if I can nail it.

I generally do use rewriteable media (for backups, and such) and use multiple
sessions on same.  But, in this particular instance, someone in FL w/a slow
connection had asked if I'd send a copy of Kubuntu to him so he could try it.
I ruined several CD-Rs on each distro --Breezy & Dapper-- and finally got one
good burn.  That, alone, is causing me to exercise caution before sending the
media out.  I need to be absolutely certain that this is machine-specific &
not generally experienced.  This gentleman has a Compaq, and I have an HP.
We have had other probs in common when using SuSE.
--
	...CH