Ubuntu Config/Installing Packages help

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 27 14:08:56 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:15:12 -0600
John Lyon <jelyon at mac.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the initial install, up to the point where it spits
> out the disc and reboots, went swimmingly.

In that case you should have a functional command line, and apt-get should
be working, if I remember correctly.

I would suggest, rather than letting the system install "automatically",
that you try logging in (say moving to another  tty with alt-F2 or
alt-F3 ) and then see if you can successfully run

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

 (or kubuntu-desktop,
xubuntu-desktop as you prefer )

The second stage is pretty much attempting to do the same thing anyway. If
you find you need to start again, I would use the "server" install option,
then issue the command above on successful completion of that.

Peter