Quick Tips on how to use "Screen"?

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 27 03:17:02 UTC 2006

> > As I understand it I should be able to use screen to ssh into a remote
> > site start a process then  drop off the net and be able to reconnect
> > to that same still running session when I log back on again.. is that
> > right?
> >
> To do that, you may need to have screen installed and running on the
> remote host.

As far as I know, screen is a very standard part of just about every
Linux/Unix distribution out there. You would be hard pressed to find
a computer with sshd that doesn't also have screen on it.

As for using it, you can "detach" a screen session with the keypress
C-a-d (control-a-d). You can then resume it with `screen -r`. See
the manpage for more details.

Overall, screen is arguably the most useful tool that I have ever
come across for linux!

Mike