installing audacity

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 26 17:24:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:56:25 -0800 (PST)
Adam Lafayette <atomlbomb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I started audacity and it gave the error:
> There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer
> you will not be able to play or record audio.

If this is in Gnome, try turning off system sounds - I find this is
necessary with Audacity, as it doesn't appear to play nice with esound
(esd).

Another thing you can try is opening a terminal and issuing " killall
esd" before opening Audacity. In KDE, I would try "killall artsd"

Peter