network problem

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 26 16:46:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:25:25 +0100, Alain Muls wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had no network pronblems (wired or wireless) until I installed nm-applet
> (network-manager). I thought Iit would be handy to have a tool who would
> keep track of the network settings you used, especially the wireless ones.
> After installing nm-applet I experienced problems. The network starts OK
> with a correct ip address (e.g. 192.168.1.10) but after a very short
> period, this address is changed to 169.254.165.116. I do not know where
> this IP comes from. I removed network-manager but the problem persists. I
> cannot find the settings I have to change. I have to restart the network
> every 2 to 3 minutes to have some kind of connection available.
>
> Tx/Alain

Are you making a wireless connection? In that case network-manager may
have connected to a different wireless network (169.254.165.0) that
happened to be unprotected, and left the traces of it in
/etc/network/interfaces. So, even after removing network-manager you may
still be trying to connect to the wrong network.

Try the System --> Administration --> Networking menu, highlight your
interface and look in Properties. With the interface enabled, you
probably find a number of essids to choose from... among which your own
plus some other. Make sure to pick your own, fill in the WEP key and
choose DHCP (or Static), OK the choices, and then activate the interface.
This also fixes your /etc/network/interfaces file.

--
H.A.J. Koster
"Behavioral axioms are right, but agents make mistakes..."