How to add LVM's after an install?

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Sun Feb 26 04:55:18 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 20:34, Xn Nooby wrote:
> I have an existing 5.10 Ubuntu install, and I can't figure out how to
> create a logical volume.  I vaguely remember it asking me something
> about LVM's during the install, and I may have chosen not to use it at
> that time.  In addition to my boot drive, I have 3 extra HD's in my
> machine - and I would like to combine them in to a single gigantic
> drive.  I added qparted and gtparted, but did not see an option to
> create an LVM in those programs.  I'm probaly missing something
> obvious.
>
> Any suggestions?

Determine which partitions are to be used for LVM and make
sure the partition types are set to 8e.  Make each such
partition into a physical volume with pvcreate.  Combine
the physical volumes into a volume group with vgcreate.
You can then create logical volumes in the volume group
using lvcreate.

If you want to use LVM over RAID, set the partition types
to fd instead.  Create the RAIDs, make the RAIDs into
physical volumes with pvcreate, and then continue as above.

--Mike Bird