Ip tables and NAT

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Feb 25 19:32:51 UTC 2006

imo, you answered that question in another thread.  You said that:

> The far better solution is a tool
> that displays running programs and which ports they have opened.

Since I haven't found such a thing, I count on iptables to prevent running
software from opening ports I don't know about.  If you know of anything
that does what you want, tell us.  It's not good enough just to run netstat
- it needs to be able to tell me when something starts to use a port &
learn and remember what ports should be open _in both directions_.  Like
certain Windows products...

Also, this discussion has focused on whether you need a firewall to stop
people outside your machine accessing open ports - that's only half of a
firewall's job.  It needs to prevent outgoing access.  afaict, the only way
I could prevent that would be with iptables.
--
derek