How to find out "unmet dependencies"

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Sat Feb 25 01:37:55 UTC 2006

Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Hi Ed
>
> Yes, I tried and followed the dependencies. That came out:
> sudo apt-get install g++-4.0
>   g++-4.0: Depends: gcc-4.0-base (= 4.0.1-4ubuntu9) but 4.0.2-5ubuntu2
> is to be installed
>            Depends: gcc-4.0 (= 4.0.1-4ubuntu9) but 4.0.2-5ubuntu2 is to
> be installed
>            Depends: libstdc++6-4.0-dev (= 4.0.1-4ubuntu9) but it is not
> going to be installed

Well, this is really odd.  I just looked in Synaptic and my list shows
that gcc package as gcc-4.0.1-4ubuntu9, same as g++ is asking for.  I
looked back at your first email to check your repositories list and it
looks OK to me.  You don't seem to have any backports enabled, which is
what I'd first thought was giving you 4.0.2-5ubuntu2 message.  Did you
have backports enabled previously?  If so, do a reload and try again.

Hmmm, I just looked and I have breezy-backports enabled.  But I still
don't know why your system wants a newer version than I list.  Synaptic
shows gcc-4.0 and gcc-4.0-base in main, so you should still have them
available.

What do you get when you look at this in Synaptic?

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

You live and learn.  At any rate, you live.
- Douglas Adams