OT: lost my cd/dvd drives

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Fri Feb 24 19:53:20 UTC 2006

On Friday, 24 February 2006 19:05, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > Primary IDE Master: WDC WD1200JB-00FUA (my ATA 120GB disk)
> > Primary IDE Slave: not installed
> > Secondary IDE Master: not installed
> > Secondary IDE Slave: not installed
> > Third IDE Master: Maxtor 6V300F0 (my SATA 300GB disk)
> > Third IDE Slave: not installed
> > Fourth IDE Master: not installed
> > Fourth IDE Slave: not installed
>
> Of course it isn't 'not installed' but 'not detected'
>
> I've tried a whole lot of other things...
>
> If I swap the IDE 1 and 2 cables over - suddenly my system sees the
> CD/ROM devices fine (now on IDE 1). But now no sign of the ATA HDD
> (now on IDE 2). The S-ATA drive shows up fine too, and is bootable
> (is has a separate connector on the Main Board).
>
> Does all this mean there is something wrong with my IDE 2 connector
> on the board? (I bloody hope not!)

That test proves that your cd drives and cables are fine. Two options
left: your secondary IDE controller has gone to the big silicon
factory in the sky, or it's disabled in the BIOS (usually 2nd or 3rd
screen)

What is your output from:
sudo lspci | grep -i ide
sudo dmesg | grep -i ide

If your second controller (is it onboard?) is b0rked, then you can
plug in a regular controller card. They are not expensive.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za