ATI Radeon : what works on Ubuntu ?

Mario Splivalo mario.splivalo at mobart.hr
Fri Feb 24 13:29:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 13:38 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> It looks like it my AGP port will be compatible then, so the biggest
> problem is solved.
> And about the nice 2D picture, I am glad you spontaneously mentioned it.
> I had heard about it before and wan't sure. But I am glad you confirm
> it, because actually that was the first reason that lead me to give up
> my on-board Nbidia card : I like to ha ve sharp/crisp/clean picture on
> my desktop, and the Nvidia is very blurry, it's a pain to look at.
> Since I heard that ATI  cared about picture quality a lot more than
> Nvidia, I thought I would try.

Erhm? My experiences are different. I prefered ATI only because those
cards had much nicer TV-Out picture on my TV set, NVidia was much much
worse. On monitor, no difference. I'm using LG Flatron with VGA (not
DVI) connection, and I have same picture on Ati and NVidia.

> Other reason is that my Nvidia is useless because of the crappy binary
> drivers, which never worked since Warty (!), causing endless segfaults,
> massive screen corruption and hard locks. SO I thought, switching to an
> ATI can only improve things !! ;-)

Erm with huh again. I'm using GForce4 MX440, and I have no probs at all.
I installed Hoary-distributed drivers for nvidia, and I'm playing Unreal
and Descent as good as I were when this was a windows box.

> About 3D performance, I don't care. I am replacing the Geforce2 only to
> because I want a better picture quality and stable driver, not to
> upgrade it at all. So as long as the performance is similar to the
> GeForce 2 MX 32MB, it's okay. So a Radeon 7000 is probably good enough,
> and a 9250 will probably be significantly better. :-)

On my laptop I have Radeon X600, and radeon drivers for xorg are a mess.
I can't hibernate/suspend, but since I don't play any games I'm not
using flglrx drivers. I dunno if it matters because X600 is PCI-X card,
and maybe linux is having some troubles with it.

	Mike