Need a Primer for Ubuntu

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Thu Feb 23 23:41:34 UTC 2006

Scooter wrote:
> Good Evening List,
>
> I may be trying the wrong flavor of Linux, but I must start somewhere.
> I have been reading for two weeks and STILL don't know which direction
> to go!
> Ubuntu's website and the general atmosphere (people and emails) made me
> WANT to learn here.
>
> The "talk" has alluded me. It reminded me of the 'ole Apple II days.
> Writing programs was a necessity. But I quit programming, when I could
> afford a really good system (Amiga). Then it was 20+ years with
> Microsoft, but things in the Microsoft World are getting much too
> expensive and complicated for my needs. Open-Source software has almost
> replaced everything, except for three critical areas; the OS, CAD and
> music (my hobby).
> I'm a Misc. Metals Detailer (CAD) and Project Manager by trade &  and a
> amateur Web Designer.
> These two worlds are my working life. I tell you this so you understand
> my point of view.
> I am unable at this point to let go of Microsoft (MS) because I need it
> to make a living.
>
> I have run trouble shooting (MS) at many companies to earn my way and am
> having a lot of trouble with the Linux lingo and protocol. It is an
> alien world to me at this point, but it is constantly pulling at me with
> intrigue and possibilities.
> I understand from several articles (WIKI) that Ubuntu is probably not
> the best choice for me, but I need to be (at the very least) a "high
> schooler", not a "kindergartener" in the Linux world, before I CAN let
> go of MS.
> THE main question is, WHERE do I start. There are SO MANY "flavors" and
> too many directions to go in!
>  I need to go in the direction of my livelihood, but there are no
> beginner books for the computer savvy. No general comparisons  between
> the two OSs.
> I don't even know where to look for software that is exclusive to Linux
> AND in my fields of interest!
> I need HELP.
>
> Take Care,
> Scooter
> College Park, MD 20740

Hello Scooter

Get a copy of the live CD. Then, you can try Ubuntu without installing
it :-).
Play around, check out the apps on this CD and see if you are
comfortable. If you feel ok on the live CD go on.....
The live CD has just a (small) collection of software for the dayly use,
but when you install it, you have access to a big amount of OS Software.
And you can find an equivalent of almost every thing from the windoz world.
The Ubuntu Community is just great :-)

Regards, Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li