Installing Apache 2, PHP 4 and MySQL

Robert Slade ubtu at bathnetworks.com
Thu Feb 23 21:41:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 14:06 -0800, freesoft12 free wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running the latest Ubuntu version.
>
> I followed the instructions in the following Wiki page:
>
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ApacheMySQLPHP
>
> and installed all the modules listed on that page. However when I try
> the following command:
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/apache2ctl start
>
> it reads /etc/apache2/httpd.conf, which in turn
> references /etc/apache/modules.conf. I get symbol errors from the
> apache-1.3 modules.

Therein lies the problem httpd.conf is not used with apache 2 and
Ubuntu. There should be a folder withing /etc/apache2 called
mods-enabled which contains the modules to be loaded.

> I tried removing 'apache-1.3' by typing 'apt-get remove apache' but
> that doesn't help.
>
> Is there something wrong with the apache installation on Debian
> considering I have both version 1.3 and version 2 in my Ubuntu
> system???

That is the problem. you should use one or the other.

> Regards
> Rajesh

I had a similar problem which I managed to fix by completely removing
the currently installed programmes via synaptic and reinstall without
the apache 1.3.

This link may also help:

http://ubuntuguide.org/

There is a short section on apache/php/mysql.

Rob