Wine won't run, and winecfg returns an error

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Feb 23 15:38:18 UTC 2006

On Thursday, 23 February 2006 15:45, Dave M G wrote:
> Ubuntu Users,
>
>     I installed Wine, and it was working great. And then I was
> following the instructions on this page:

I've never run wine on Ubuntu, so I'll give you generic wine tips

>     I got to the point where I used winecfg to install some dll
> files, and then after that, wine stopped working completely. I must
> have typed in the name wrong or something.

winecfg doesn't install dlls - it simply tells wine which dlls to use.
You have builtin - part of wine itself, and native - these are
always .dll files in ~/.wine/drive_c/ somewhere

>     My first attempt to repair the situation was to go back to
> Synaptic and reinstall the software. But I still get the following
> error when running winecfg, and any attempt to run wine itself
> simply produces no output or results whatsoever.

reinstalling wine will keep the existing configuration, so it
accomplishes nothing.

>     This is the error output from winecfg:
>
> dave at ubuntu1:~$ winecfg
> err:thunk:_loadthunk (commctrl.dll, Cctl1632_ThunkData16,
> comctl32.dll): Unable to load 'commctrl.dll', error 2

You probably set 'commctrl.dll' to native, and don't have a dll for it
on disk. Fix it by editing the wine registry files in ~/.wine/*.reg

Load them into an editor and do a text search. Once you find them,
it's obvious what to do (they are just text files).

If the problem persists, run

WINEDEBUG=+loaddll winecfg

and it will print every dll it uses to the console. Manually check the
native ones and make sure you do have native files for them

> err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "comctl32.dll" failed to initialize,
> aborting err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
> L"C:\\windows\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000142
>
>     Any ideas how I get Wine back up and running?

As a last resort, move ~/.wine/*.reg somewhere safe for backup and
re-run winecfg. It will recreate a default registry, and you'll have
to do the customization steps again yourself

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za