installing firefox 1.5

Mario Splivalo mario.splivalo at mobart.hr
Thu Feb 23 15:54:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 15:31 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 2/22/06, Roel Groeneveld <roel.groeneveld at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/22/06, Douglas Alves <alves5 at cantv.net> wrote:
> > > I wish to install firefox 1.5 on my system.
> > > After downloading and unpacking it, where should I place the firefox
> > > folder that contains all the installation files?
> > >

> > You can just follow the instructions on the wiki:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion
>
> Is it possible to install a 1.5 .deb from the Debian testing
> repositories? The idea of having 2 versions on the machine
> side-by-side is so inelegant it makes me cringe...

Why? Nothing inelegant about that.

Leave alone .deb packages from the Debian testing. They might, or might
not work.

Here is what I did:

Downloaded firefox1.5 from mozilla.org, installed it
to /usr/local/firefox-1.5

Then, i could do:

/usr/local/firefox-1.5/firefox

from within terminal to start firefox-1.5. But, I changed shortcut on
this tiny icon near the 'System' menu so it points
to /usr/local/firefox-1.5/firefox.

I even added symbolic link to /usr/local/bin, like this:

cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s /usr/local/firefox-1.5/firefox

Then i just type firefox in my terminal, and I have firefox1.5. If I
want old firefox, I need to type /usr/bin/firefox.

Of course, in my $PATH, /usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin.

	Mike