Trying to open Fat32 partition in NVU success

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 23 14:56:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:36:04PM -0500, William Wereley wrote:

> I found the partition listed under media. Strange place to me, but I'm
> learning. An old dog but not unteachable. I have tried a few ways to
> change the permissions so I can edit those files, NVU can edit but not
> save. So sudo into nautilus and that doesn't work. Went into Win2000 and
> set them as shares, no help. Hmmm seems I need to do some terminal
> work.Anyone have any suggestions I've poured through  google and the
> wiki, tried to sudo chmod 775 and nothing 777 nothing. I definately
> missing something and will feel like a jerk when I discover how easy
> it probably is. Anybody, please set on the right path.
> Thanks

Hey Bill,

It has been a while since I've done this, but as I recall, you
will want to add something in your /etc/fstab that forces the
FAT32 partition to "have a user and group id".  Linux (among
other OS's) assigns an user ID (UID) and group ID (GID) to
each file.  The partitioning schemes are set up to accomodate
that.  FAT32 offers no such fields, so they have to be sort
of inferred.  In /etc/fstab you can tell it to map everything
in a FAT32 partition to a single user and group.  The default
first user id assigned in Ubuntu for regular users is 1000.
Ditto for group id.  So, in the options area a "uid=1000,gid=1000"
may help you out.