You've lost your work dialog

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Feb 23 11:30:22 UTC 2006

On Thursday, 23 February 2006 06:41, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> I just lost some work I had been doing in NetBeans.  I told Gnome
> to log me out and it brought up a box saying that I had
> applications running that it couldn't gracefully shutdown (they
> were on other desktops) and then provided for one action, "OK".
>
> Am I missing something or is this rather pointless.  By the time
> I've seen the message any badness that might result from my hitting
> "OK" was already doomed to happen.
>
> Is there some magic incantation to use to get it to cancel and let
> you go back and gracefully exit the applications?

Netbeans is a Java/Swing package and isn't Gnome-aware so this is
prone to happen. I had the same thing with KDE and eventually set
auto-save to run every 5 minutes to work around it.

It might be worth experimenting with dropping to a tty and sending
netbeans a SIGHUP or SIGTERM. With luck you might be able to go back
to the gnome terminal and find a Save/Discard/Cancel dialog from
Netbeans has appeared.

Netbeans runs from a script and the actual executable is java so this
might not work. A few minutes experimenting will be worth the time
spent

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za