Migration to Dapper

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 07:26:06 UTC 2006

On 2/23/06, Serg Belokamen <serg.belokamen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > * I have not kept track of many additional software on Horay. Is there
> > > a way to find out which additional software (Java, Flash, RealPlayer,
> > > Adobe, etc) I have installed so that I can install them on Dapper?
>
> If you didn't keep track you might be in pain my friend. If however
> you have a spare machien or a spare HDD, do a virgin install and run
> updates. This will give you a base system.
> Then do a dpkg -l > base_system_deb.txt On your real system do the
> same and then run a diff utility on the two files.
>
> If you were refering to compiled packages on the other hand, you
> should have all of them backed up, maybe in /usr/local/src or
> something... As you should! Or once again its SOL dude.
>
> Don't think this was much help but option #1 could be useful.

There's something that Ubuntu has the opportunity to pioneer and do _right_.
Find a way to keep track of this information or better yet script a
way to find out what's been done _after_ the fact.
I realise this wouldn't be a simple thing to do but if you think about
it, it's one of those things we really need to get done to put us
ahead of the Win environment by a large milestone.

Doesn't anyone else think so?

--
www.modmeup.net
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10