mutt and mailing lists

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Wed Feb 22 17:11:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:58:06AM -0600, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> Also, one thing I should have mentioned is that I am using IMAP.
> Upon further inspection, I have found that what I should use is not
> procmail, but something like imapfilter.

I use IMAP as well. Here's what happens:

1) I use fetchmail to download from an IMAP server (over
   SSH, actually).
2) Fetchmail delivers the IMAP mail to my local mail
   delivery agent, in this case Postfix.
3) Postfix is configured to deliver mail to procmail, via
   this configuration command in /etc/postfix/main.cf :

4) Postfix has a number of rules configured in
   ~/.procmailrc , one of which tells it to auto-file all
   messages from this mailing list in the 'ubuntu-users'
   folder. Other rules tell it to filter messages through
   spamassassin, take spam-tagged messages and file them
   away in the 'spam' folder, etc.

So procmail is still the right tool for the job.

Cheers,
Steve

--
Stephen R. Laniel