mutt and mailing lists

Clive Menzies clive at clivemenzies.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 16:18:32 UTC 2006

On (22/02/06 10:00), Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> For reasons that are unknowable even to myself, I use mutt as my
> email client. However, thus far I haven't been able to figure out
> exactly how to have particular messages placed into a specific
> mailbox. In particular, I would like to place messages from high
> traffic mailing lists into list-specific mailboxes.
>
> I have been told that I should be able to do this easily with
> procmail, but before I try that, does anyone know if there is a
> reasonably straightforward way to accomplish this with mutt alone?
>
> I apologize if this is somewhere easy to find in the documentation
> and I'm just blind.

AFAIK you have to do it with procmail or using a forward file in exim (I
don't know about postfix).  Mutt does provide the facility to tag
messages from a given address and then move them manually; I guess you
could script some sort of cronjob to automate it but it doesn't sound
particularly elegant :)

Regards

Clive

--