mutt and mailing lists

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Wed Feb 22 16:14:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:00:54AM -0600, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> For reasons that are unknowable even to myself, I use mutt as my
> email client. However, thus far I haven't been able to figure out
> exactly how to have particular messages placed into a specific
> mailbox. In particular, I would like to place messages from high
> traffic mailing lists into list-specific mailboxes.
>
> I have been told that I should be able to do this easily with
> procmail, but before I try that, does anyone know if there is a
> reasonably straightforward way to accomplish this with mutt alone?

The right answer is, indeed, procmail. You'd use a rule like
this to have procmail auto-file a message from
'ubuntu-users' into the 'ubuntu' box:

:0
* From: ubuntu-users
ubuntu

Mutt will not auto-file messages for you. Mutt will,
however, take hints about where to save messages if you
press 's' while your cursor is over a given message. You can
put this in your ~/.muttrc:

save-hook '~f ubuntu-users' '=ubuntu'

 From then on, all you need to do is press 's' while the
cursor's on the message, then press enter; the message will
go in the ubuntu folder.

For my money, mutt is the best email program I've ever used.
It makes every other email client look like un-customizable
crap. I've got mutt customized to the hilt, and I'll never
use any other email client unless forced to.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571