/dev/dsp, /dev/snd/*, /dev/usb/* permissions in breezy following 2.6.12-10-686-smp kernel update

Richard Smith richard at indigo3.net
Wed Feb 22 15:46:10 UTC 2006

Hello collective,

Following a dist-upgrade after a security announcement, the permissions on
some of the devices appear to be set incorrectly.

I'm not certain however I believe it may be related to the kernel upgrade to
2.6.12-10-686-smp since that was the only package upgraded that would have
had any effect on this issue.

As far as I can tell, the permissions on the following devices is set
incorrectly and as a result, aren't usable:

/dev/dsp
/dev/snd/*
/dev/usb/*

I've googled a fair bit but can't find anything relating to this issue.

It was working perfectly, and only started exhibiting this behaviour after a
reboot following the kernel update mentioned above.

For the moment, I've manually set the permsissions and it fixes it until I
reboot next.

This is a stock ubuntu running KDE 3.5.1.

Has anyone had a similar thing happen?

TIA

~ Rich