[Breezy]Adept Wizard Upgrade B0rked system

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Wed Feb 22 14:44:52 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 07:53, Derek Broughton wrote:
> C Hamel wrote:
<SNIP>
> > ones but KDE?  If that was directly from KDE that'd be one thing, but I
> > perceive that it is from kubuntu, which I am using.   So, why the
> > hesitation to use it?
>
> The hesitation is that none of those are official Ubuntu repositories.  The
> kubuntu one _should_ be OK, but the others are likely intended for Debian,
> not Ubuntu.  Breezy was not released with KDE 3.5 - the kubuntu.org
> packages are backports. I'm certain there will be _something_ there that's
> pretty reliable, but I'm _not_ certain that's the correct URL.  I used
> kubuntu.org briefly before deciding to go with dapper, specifically because
> the correct URL for the latest breezy KDE packages kept changing.
>
> I'd _definitely_ be scared about using sourceforge to get apt - you want to
> be using the version of apt that's intended for your version of Ubuntu, or
> you may well end up with a completely non-updatable system.  I don't know
> about plf, and opera is probably safe as long as it will install - but I'd
> want to get my system working stably before I'd try to install it.
> --
> derek
Noted.  Thanks.  I did do an update last evening --just for KDE-3.5.0-- and,
since I did not install anything beyond the norm --except for using the
automatix script for a few things-- everything seems to be okay.  The
problems I had last time were visible just w/reboot (I didn't even have to
run an app), but what really got my attention was k3b.  For the rest of it, I
just yawned, pulled out my backup and checked w/the list to see if anyone
else had this prb.

Guess I really ought to pull the plug on some of those archives.  What got
me interested in them in the first place was the fact that I use the non-gui
mplayer extensively and I kept getting a not found msg.  Now I have it.

Thanks, again. :-)
--
	...CH